Valentine's Day Survival Guide
1. Act as if it is any other day- Because it is.
2. Do all of your favorite things- Eat your favorite meal. Wear your favorite sweater, and your favorite underwear.
3. Send love notes to friends and family- Let your most patient and loving friends, and your favorite family members know how much you appreciate the love that they've given you through the years. They deserve to know how much comfort their love has given you.
4. Stay off of social media- Proclamations of love on social media are annoying every other day of the year, and they are especially annoying on Valentine's day. Delete the app on your phone for the day if you have too.
5. Go to the movies with a single friend~ See a fun romantic comedy or an engrossing suspense film, but definitely do not subject yourself to a sappy romantic film. This is not the day for The Notebook, my friend.
6. Get a massage ~ Face it, it's Valentine's day. You know you want to get felt-up a little.
For those of you who are attached: Isn't the person you love so much in the other room, or sitting right next to you? Turn your head, tell the person you love how much you love them, tell them what it is about them that you love, and give them a kiss. Way better than a card, a text, or a tweet.
Leana Sykes is a Relationship Counselor and the owner of Leana Sykes Relationship Counseling & Mediation in Oaklyn, NJ.